Saturday, November 10, 2012

Foods I Cooked Last Week!

Here are some of the foods I cooked and ate last week (November 2nd- 9th): 

Lentil Tacos
Instead of tortillas we used lettuce leaves for our tacos!  I am not sure what kind of lettuce this was. (We got it from FarmFreshToYou.com and I don't remember the name of the lettuce they listed). The lettuce was bitter and Bret hated it so he had some corn tortillas instead-- I ate his lettuce leaves :)

We also got this squash from FarmFreshToYou.com and I had to look up the name and how to cook it: It's called Delicata or Bohemian squash!
Pre-heat the oven 350 degrees; Cut the squash lengthwise
Using a spoon scrape the seeds
Fill a cooking pan with 1/2" water and place the squash face down and bake for 30 minutes in the oven
While the squash cooks, make a lemon sauce: 1 tablespoon of melted vegan butter; dashes of lemon pepper, red chili pepper, a little but of salt, squirt some lemon juice and mix well.
Take out the baked squash and our the lemon sauce and serve!
 The squash and sauce was so super-yummy! It was sweet, yet lemony and spicy all at once!

This is was our dinner on Wednesday night (the one on the right is my plate). We had (canned) artichoke hearts and fresh spinach and wholewheat pasta topped with olive sauce (blended olives and olive oil). You can also see I was already soaking almonds to make almond milk the next day!

Sweet Potato Fries

 Directions:
  1. (Instead of eggs) soak 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds in water until it became gooey
  2. Spray olive oil on baking pan
  3. Peel 2 sweet potatoes and cut them in thin slices then coated them all around with flaxseeds
  4. Add a little bit of salt.
I also tried to make baked sweet potato fries, but they really didn't come out-- I'll keep on trying until I get them right!  We still ate them though :)

Almond Milk

Directions: 
  1. Soak 1 cup of almonds for at least 30 minutes (or over night)
  2. Add almonds and 4 or 5 cups of water to high-powdered blender and blend for 1-2 minutes
  3. Poor into a container using a sieve to separate the almond milk and the almond paste
I made this almond milk last Sunday, and made a another batch later this

 I thought that throwing the left-over almond paste away would be a waste, so I researched on-line what to do with it and I got many ideas.
I refrigerated it for a few hours and then I baked it for 10 minutes at 350 degrees to dry it out.
 After baking it, it was still wet...I think you have to let it sit out for a while until it completely dries and it becomes almond meal. Even while a little wet, I decided to make vegan cookies with it! :D (I didn't take a picture)


Agave-Glazed Carrots with Garlic

Directions: 
  1.  Boil water in a pan
  2. Peel small organic carrots
  3. Add 1/2 garlic head (pressed, sliced, diced, whatever) 
  4. Add generous amount of salt
  5. Drain water from pan
  6. set carrots aside; cut carrots in half (optional)
I got this recipe from Whole Living magazine--originally it was with honey, but I only had agave at home.
 7. Heat sauce panto medium high heat
8. Add 1 tbsp. organic extra virgin olive oil
9. Add 2 tablespoon of agave
10. Add red pepper flakes, lemon pepper and 1 tablespoonof water
11. When it begins bubbling, add the carrots; Cook for 3-5 minutes and ready!

Gill onion and garlic with vegan butter or water; add mushrooms cooking for a 1-2 minutes; add tomatoes cooking for 1 minute then turn off heat; add salt or lemon pepper to taste

Dinner is served! This is my plate: small portion of spinach and artichoke hears and olives; wholewheat pasta with mushrooms and tomatoes; agave-glazed carrots with garlic

 Mmmm, dinner was SO delicious! I finished my plate and even licked the juice of the carrots! For dessert last night I had 2 tablespoons of peanut butter :D 

 
Then Bret and I finished the night watching Cast Away (with Tom Hanks). I love that movie!

These are some of the foods I made this week. I gotta admit I'm getting good at cooking and baking. I am so excited to one day become a great plant-based chef/cook!

Love,

Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment