Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Here are the answers I submitted to the summer institute, Exito! I will be attending to this summer:
1. Participant name (as you would like to be addressed during the institute):
Bea or Beatriz
Mexico City, Mexico
3. Preferred email address:
4. Education: Bachelors (major, university):
Bachelor’s: Psychology, University of California Irvine
Master’s: Health Science, California State University, Long Beach
5. Brief bio-sketch ( ≤100 words):
Ms. Beatriz Sosa-Prado’s graduate studies and research training at the NCLR/California State University Long Beach Center for the Latino Community Health, Evaluation and Leadership Training provided a strong foundation to pursue a doctoral degree conducting health disparities. She hopes her future research influences policy and challenge public health practice and health systems.
Ms. Sosa-Prado aspires to become a public health researcher and develop effective community-based interventions meeting the needs of Latina/os in Southern California. Her passion for working with underserved communities stemmed from her involvement at Latino Health Access under the leadership and mentorship of CEO, Dr. America Bracho.
Ms. Sosa-Prado is a bilingual nutritionist and works with Latina mothers in Los Angeles.
6. What two communities (communities as you define) do you identify with and why?
I am a woman of color and a Latina immigrant.
7. What is your favorite personal quote/motto?
“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” Gandhi
8. What is your favorite activity or hobby?
Spending quality time with my husband and family. I enjoy working out, reading non-fiction books (i.e., psychology, sociology, and nutrition), being an activist for social justice and environmental issues, and enjoying nature.
9. What is the last book you read?
Yo soy Rigoberta Menchu y así me nació la conciencia by Elizabeth Burgos
10. What is your favorite movie?
Cinema Paradiso and Million Dollar Baby
11. What is your favorite website?
SaludToday blog, Marion Nestle’s Food Politics blog, Leo Babauta’s Zen Habits blog, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine website, Bodybuilding.com and other nutrition and fitness websites.
12. Please provide a headshot photograph of yourself.