Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Some of the things I ate in the last week!

Here are pictures of some of the foods I ate in the past week.

Farmer's Market groceries for $20:
  • Dried mango, trailmix and  roasted pepitas fro $10
  • 2 organic persimmons
  • i organic avocado
  • ginger root
  • 2 bunches organic kale
  • organic celery stalks
I tried to make a huge lentil patty for dinner, but it didn't really come out :/

Spinach salad with 2 globs (LOL!) of lentils (from lentil patty above), guacamole, baked shredded Brussels sprouts with vegna butter and garlic, and red chard with lemon and garlic.

Last Saturday, my sister in law, Oneyda, made this pasta with lost of cheese (yes, cow's milk cheese and I ate it!). We also added a side of artichokes and olives

Oneyda's tres leches chocolate cake
My sister Martha making flour tortilla quesadillas
Brussels sprouts I baked to share with my family last Saturday
My beautiful 3 year-old nieces Vanessa (left) and Itzel (right) a little upset, waiting to eat dinner
My nephew 6 year-old nephew Xavier picking at his food. This little boy eats so little!

My sister Martha and brother Javier being silly! Yes, I ate some of that pumpkin pie too!
My nieces and nephews helped setting up the altar at my parents house. The picture there is of my mom's parents: my grandfather, Felix Prado (d. 1962) and grandmother, Flavia Espinoza (d. 2004).
My 12 year-old nephew, David explaining something about computers to my sister Lupe. I thought it made a great shot of family communication and culture happening right in front of my eyes! (Lupe breast feeds her 3 month old baby, girl, Veronica! Awesome for both!) 
Sunday's dinner: Left over from the night before

 
I was craving something crunchy so I made kale chips! I found out the perfect way to make them:

  • Pre-heat the oven to 350degrees for 5 minutes. 
  • Spread them out in a baking tray (leaves should not touch each other)
  • Set on top rack for 10-12 minutes
  • Turn off oven and let them kale in there for 2-3more minutes
  • Take out and sprinkle with lemon pepper
  • Enjoy! 
Last night's dinner! We still had left over pasta, so Bret made pesto to go with it.
I'm not quite sure how he made the pesto, but he said he used:
  • About 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup vegan cheeze
  • dashes of dried basil
  • dashes of lemon pepper

Love,

Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment