Sunday, October 14, 2012

Reading, Reading, Reading and Loving It!

efore I used to think that I never really had time to read because I was so busy all the time, juggling multiple things at once. I have a short attention span and each time I picked up a book, I would lose focus and get bored and stop reading...


Ever since Bret and I met, he has checked out for on CD for me to read/listen to in the car. I have probably listened to/read more than a couple dozen books since.....Hmmm, I never actually have analyzed the impact of this (all the books I've read in the past 4 years) -- but I just got the idea to write another blog just on listening to/ reading books, stay tuned!

I am not working right now so I have a little more time. For the last month, I have been working on finishing my thesis (!), getting organizing , getting used to my medication and relaxing (I have a doctor's appointment at the end of the month and I am not sure what to expect; it has to do with the seizure I had in August). So what else have I been doing with that "little more time"? I've been reading. A lot! (My driver's license is suspended, so I don't listen to books, that is why I've been actually reading them ;)

Last Saturday, Bret and I went to the Santa Monica library. He picked up movies on DVD and books on CD; I walked over to the new books, non-fiction section (my favorite). The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism by Olivia Fox Cabane caught my eye, so I checked it out. The book is 250 pages and it's super interesting! It's all about psychology and self-awareness of body language and emotions. This is my kind of reading, I love psychology! I am 2 short chapters away from finishing it; I want to finish reading it tonight!





 
Yesterday, we went to the SM library again and I picked up What Would Michelle (Obama) Do? (WWMD) by Allison Samuels. This morning (6:00am) I grazed through WWMD and it's not too impressive. Michelle Obama (MO) is amazing--there is no question about that, but the book is not what I thought it would be. It has no reviews and the content was almost the same as I have read in other books, nothing new. MO didn't even endorse the book nor gave actual input to the author. However, I did take notes on a few things that I need personal work on, like sending Thank You notes on time, practicing self-confidence and strengthening my networking and organization skills. 

Yesterday, I also picked up: The 4 Disciplines of Execution by Chris McChesney, Sean Covey (Stephen Covey's son) and Jim Huling. Now this is a business book with a forward by a professor of the Harvard Business School. It has 4 pages in total of positive reviews from entrepreneurs, professors, Nobel peace prize winners, etc. I'm always up for reading anything written by the Covey's (Stephen Covey write the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, the book that changed my life).




I am so excited to get my reading on this week! I am determined to read a wide variety of books from all genres and can't wait to pick up more book next Saturday! Reading widely and extensively will open my mind, expand my horizons, speed my reading and strengthen my comprehension muscles, improve my vocabulary as well as helping me become a better writer!!! All of this will help me do well on the verbal and writing portions of the GRE! Whoo-hoo!


Best,

Bea


No comments:

Post a Comment