Monday, October 15, 2012

Cutting These "Healthy" Foods Out of My Diet



So these are the 3 foods that I eat/drink more than I would like and I plan to cut them all out of my diet: 1) peanut butter (PB), 2) soy milk and 3) Ezekiel bread. Before I tell you why, let me tell you that these foods are actually healthy for you…

You probably have already heard how eating these foods (above) are so good for you. I agree that they are, and I think you should include them (in limited amounts) in your diet.

1) Organic Natural PB has sufficient protein (about 8 grams, per 2 tablespoons) and healthy fats (poly and mono unsaturated fats). One serving (2 tablespoons) is 200 calories. It also has vitamins and minerals like, vitamin E, vitamin B3, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese that aid in bodily functions. Organic, natural (only ingredients: peanuts), raw and unsalted PB is best! (No Peter Pan, Skippy, JIF or any of that processed junk!)
2) Organic soy milk is also a good source of protein, it is nutrient rich and it’s fortified with vitamin B12 and vitamin D. If you ask me, soy milk is way healthier than drinking cow's milk!!! It is only 100 calories per 8 fluid oz. (1 cup), has 5-7 grams of sugar, it’s low in sodium and carbs and out of the 4 grams of fat, 3.5 grams are healthy fats. 


3) Ezekiel4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread is an excellent source whole grain! It is by far; the best bread in my opinion. It is very close to being a whole food (it is not highly processed and it has very few added ingredients). It’s made with "wheat and barley and beans and lentils, millet and spelt" based on a biblical verse. One slice is only 80 calories and 2 slices are enough to make you feel full! It has 3.5 grams of protein, about 3 of fiber, and only 15 grams of carbohydrates! It is also low in sodium, low in sugar and it has little wheat. 


I love all of these foods, I really do! I wish I could eat them all the time. The thing with me is that I can actually over them…. Too much of a good thing is actually bad.
  • I love PB so much that I can eat, eat and eat it away all the time. I cannot just have 2 teaspoons of PB. It is a comfort food for me; In the past I’ve actually eaten PB right out of the jar because I was feeling sad/stressed. One time I ate half a jar in one sitting! :/
  • I love the sweetness and creamy taste of soy milk. I know the serving size is 1 cup, but in one sitting I can have well more than 2 cups. I’ve improved on this, though. Now the max I will drink is 1 cup, but I don’t like the bloated feeling in my stomach after I drink it. It happens every time :/
  • I love carbs! I love bread, tortillas, rice, sweet potatoes, pasta and cereal! If any carb is front of me I will eat it, nothing holds me back. Since Ezekiel bread is so filling I can eat 2 slices, max and I have at least 1 every day (to fulfill my whole grain serving requirement ;-). I’d like to just eat bread every so often—not every day like I currently do :/
You’re probably wondering, “If this food is so healthy for you, why do you want to stop eating it???!!!” Well, for one it's because I over eat them and over-eating is not good. But the reality is that I am trying to stay away from processed foods as much as possible and include more quality wholesome foods: vegetables, fruits, greens, seeds, legumes and pseudograins (like whole grains, but better). In my next blog I’ll explain my further…..

Now I'm going to get ready, head out the door to run errands and face the world! Have a wonderful Monday, all! October 2012 is half way over, make the best out of the next 2 weeks!

Love,

Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment