Friday, September 21, 2012

The Largest Organ in the Body is Our Skin: Nurture it Naturally with Coconut Oil

Our skin is the largest organ of our body, yet we take it for granted and treat it so poorly. After finding out that cosmetics and lotions have tons of toxic chemicals in them I decided I wouldn’t use them any longer. Check this website out: The Story of Cosmetics

Generally, I hate the smell of fragrance. I don’t wear perfume nor have any interested in “smelling good” for others, so I don’t wear perfume or lotions with flowery or fruity scents. Sure, I’ll recognize some products smell good, but after inhaling their scent I realize that it is probably toxins and chemicals I’m breathing. When I smell it on people close to me, I so badly want to tell them: “Please don’t put that on your beautiful skin-- it's full of toxins!", but I know my comments will not be welcomed so I keep them to myself…. 

If I do wear something that "smells good" I probably have already read the ingredients list and found that the list is short and none of the chemicals in this infograph are in it.

You probably have heard this before: “If you wouldn’t put it in your mouth, don’t put it on your skin.” Our skin absorbs about 60% of what we put on it! So what do I put on my skin then? I use coconut oil as a moisturizer. After the shower I rub it on my skin and take a moment to tell my skin cells how much I love them and I feel wonderful.  The natural scent of coconut oil smells so good and it makes me feel healthy and happy. Since I started using coconut oil on my skin, it is so smooth, radiant and healthy, but I also attribute that to the balanced plant-based diet I have ;-)

Photo: Hi!Need ur votes 4 the bodybuilding Spokesmodel comp.U may vote 1 a day everyday till Nov 30th!
Just go to the women tab and scroll halfway down to FROMERO AND VOTE! Thank you!  http://t.co/CaOlqP09
Yeah, I wish my back looked like this! ;)
Why not go ahead and try some coconut oil on your body after your next shower? Instead of spending $8 on a toxic Victoria Secret’s or Bath and Body Works lotion, buy an organic jar of coconut oil at your local health foods store (Trader Joe's,  WholeFoods or Sprouts).The prices range from $6 to $10 depending on the size of the jar and if it's on sale. Once you make the switch your skin will thank you because it will breathe and you will nurture it with nature.


Love,

Bea



 Here are some of my tips on using coconut oil:
  • Store coconut oil in a cool place, but not the fridge or it'll harden
  •  Make sure you close it well so it doesn’t spill if/when it melts. (Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, but with the heat these days my oil melts even inside the house.) 
  • Before you dress, make sure the oil has dried; otherwise, it will stain your clothes! I've had a few cute clothes ruined because I've dressed too quickly and the oil has seeped through :( 
  • Don’t use the same coconut oil jar for your skin and your cooking! Get one for your cooking, storing it in the kitchen and one for your skin and keep it your bathroom
  • You can also put it on your hair for extra shine and/or damage protection; leave it on your hair for a couple of hours or over night on a bun.
  • Try it on your feet, knees and elbows for softer skin (I always rub some of Bret's super-dry elbows! Hehee...)
This is the one I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment