Thursday, August 11, 2011

She "who fails to plan, plans to fail"

Last month I gave myself some goals like: eating clean every day, having the nicest and most defined abs, and doing one-arm push ups by August 18th. It is a challenge to complete eat day and remember these goals! Honestly, I kinda did forget them a little....I see the over all picture (eating a 100% clean diet, rock hard and chiseled abs, and doing one-arm push ups at any given time)  -- but I lost focus and let go of the details.

My goals need to be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timely) if I want to accomplish them. So let me analyze them and evaluate the actions  I have taken to accomplish them:

 
1) Eating clean: I did not specify what clean means to me. What I meant was that I'd stick to my 5-6 meals a day plan. The biggest problem I have is eating once again a couple of hours (sometimes 1 hour or less) after dinner, which should be my last meal of the day. A few weeks ago, I lost focus and I began to let them craving kick in and they took over my self-control. I found myself craving sweet stuff, carbs and fats and eating them after dinner. I did not stop to re-evaluate my actions and goals. I did not come up with a plan or how to track my progress. I kept on going thinking, "okay, today is the last day. I'll start eating clean tomorrow.", then it was "on Monday," then it was "on the 1st of the months" and so on...

 
2) Most defined abs ever: I did not specify what most defined ever means to me. In order to have defined abs I need to have a CLEAN diet, in addition to rigorous abs and, core work, and cardio to shed excess fat around my belly. By not keeping to goal 1, I already began to fail at goal 2. I am never going to see the best defined abs if I continue sweets, carbs or fat eating after dinner! My meals are timed, my calories are counted, macro-nutrients are being manipulated during the day. I cannot simply forget all of that for a few moments of pleasure in my mouth. What I see is that any excess fat goes...to my stomach. What I can say is that my ab and core work (and over-all training is close to perfect) -- but DIET makes up 75% - 85%  of nice, defined abs.

3) Be able to do one-arm push-ups:  I said it, and I know what one-arm push ups specifically is, but what I did not specify was how I would work each day to be able to do them by Aug. 18th. Honestly, I have not seriously been working at mastering the one-arm push up. When I am at the gym, I forget to work on exercises that will get me strong. When I do remember, I am doing something else that is important at that moment or I'm too tired to try. I have also not come up with a workout plan or given myself challenges that will get me stronger each week. I just feel that when it comes closer to August 18, I will be able to just do one-arm push-ups -- but that is NOT realistic and very arrogant from my part (thinking that I can do it without enough practice).

I do want to accomplish all of this and more, but I realize that there is much more to do than just saying, "I'd like to..." I am letting my mind take me wherever and I lose focus easily. So let's be real here. I need to come up with a plan of attack and keep to it -- one day at a time!  My goals need to be SMART and I have to be more accountable to MYSELF. I am not joking. I must be serious and diligent if I want real results. I know I can achieve them, but I gotta set my mind to it.

So let's hit the 're-set' button, Bea, and let's try again. What is your next step? What are you going to about it so you don't fall off the wagon again? This is your life. This is your body, your temple. Are you going to give in and take the easy way out? Setting a goal, being courageous, going through challenges and over coming those challenges will only make me stronger (mind, body, heart and spirit).

 
It is not about how many times you fall/ fail, but it is about how many times your get up. Here are some quotes:

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

"He who fails to plan, plans to fail."

You can do this, Bea. Think before you act, write out your plan and try again. Don't be too hard on yourself. Enjoy the process and keep moving forward, no matter what.

Love,

Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment