Health Tips from Olympians:
1) Breathe Well
- Breathing is the body's ability to regulate and fend off stress
- Breathign reduces anxiety, self-doubt and muscle tension; distracting thoughts can cause anxiety and affect your ability to perform at your peak
- Exercise: inhale for 4 seconds (through your nose), exhale for 6 seconds (through your mouth); both for for ten times.
- Eat enough protein (athletes, even vegan ones, need a little more protein)
- Skip sugars
- Plan ahead - be prepared with your food, snacks, meals, dinners, everything.
- Never get hungry and never get too full if you want to eat like an elite athlete. "Allow your metabolism to work for you rather than against you."
- Follow the 80/20 Rule: 80% for fuel; 20% okay for a break or treat
- Once that becomes a habit, use the 95/5 Rule (I am pretty close to that :)
- Always plug in 5 extra minutes for stretches.