Monday, January 7, 2013

How I Keep My Skin Healthy During the Winter

As I get older I appreciate my body more and more. It's amazing how our body works, how each cell that makes up our bodies has a purpose. As I age I take much better care of my skin, especially during the cold winter season when our skin gets so sensitive.
Here are the products I regularly use to keep my skin healthy and moist during the winter:


  • Each morning I wash face with luke-warm water, put on natural toner and wear moisturizer: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Face-wash; Earth Science Aloe Vera Complexion Toner and Freshener; and Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer.
  • Instead of lotion I use organic coconut oil all over my body. I love to see how my skin glistens and before I dress I have to be brave enough to completely dry otherwise it will stain my clothes. I gotta keep on moving to stay warm! :-O
  • I always keep hand lotion handy - my hands get ultra dry! This is the lotion I have now. I always opt for a fragrance-free and natural hand lotion.
  • I have noticed that children and teens have very healthy and moist lips; as we age our lips easily crack, lose their suppleness and plumpness :( I love the feeling when my lips are healthy and moist and always make sure they are coated with lip-balm. I use Burt's Bees Beeswax natural lip-balm. I also put it on before hitting the sheets to nurture my lips during my beauty sleep ;)
  • As you can tell my skin tends to be super-dry! Even my feet get super-dry during non-winter days! Often I lather a generous dollop of petroleum jelly all over my feet, wear socks and I'm good to go! I do this before I hot the gym and sometimes before going to bed. When I take off my socks after a couple of hours I say hello to softer feet :)
  • Washing dishes on not my favorite chore. Bret and I have comprised he will do the washing mostly and I will do the drying and putting away the dishes :) But if/when I do, afterwards I always spread vitamin E (almond) oil on my hands and nails. I also do this before I go to bed! I've read that vitamin E oil helps my skin stay moisturized, and reduce the development of wrinkles in the hands.
  • Also before going to bed and after washing my face I wear just a little bit toner (home-made apple cider vinegar) on my face. To make your own ACV toner, use 1 part ACV and 3-4 parts water; shake bottle well each time and apply.
 
  • Of course, I always drink lots of water to stay hydrated. As soon a s I wake up I drink 2 cups of warm water and fresh squeezed juice from 1/4 lemon and I drink herbal tea throughout the day to keep me hydrated and warm :)
  • I am so aware that healthy skin radiates more beautifully when I eat right. My diet consists of hydrating and alkalizing (opposite of acidity) foods that provide nutritious and health benefits. Fruits and vegetables are incredibly hydrating-- basically they are water with tons of vitamins, mineral and nutrients and are loaded with fiber! Healthy skin start from the inside out.


  • Exercising for 60 minutes 5-6 times a week is part of my living a healthy lifestyle! Working out makes me feel so happy and gets me in tune with my body. I have come to appreciate each cell in my body and how my body functions.
It has been proven that consistent exercise delivers tremendous benefits, from a healthy, more active brain to the skin that wraps your soul. Exercise is essential for healthy skin!

During the winter break my guilty pleasure was/is taking long hot showers... I love them because Bret and I bathe together! :) We say we save more water that way, but we tend to stay in there longer because the hot water feels so good when it's cold outside! However, I know that hot water dries the skin out and I know I should use warm water instead... Now that Bret's winter break is over and is back to work I will take shorter hot showers alone :( Boo!, but it will help seal more moisture in my skin and save water.

(Oh, by the way, I like to use soaps that are not scented and natural. Right now I am using Trader Joe's Oatmeal and Honey soap, it feels so pure and it's non-drying-- I like it a lot!)

 

So there you have it. These are the products I use and things I do to keep my skin healthy, hydrated and radiant during the winter.  I recommended you do what works for your skin, especially:
  1. drinking plenty of water
  2. eating healthy, wholesome food (kick processed, acidic, junk-food out!)
  3. exercising for a rosy glow
  4. getting sufficient sleep
  5.  be happy, smile and keep a sport a great attitude!
Love, 

Bea

1 comment:

  1. Bea, these are great tips! I use a little tin of coconut oil as a lip balm (and it tastes so good!) but I never tried it on the rest of my body--probably best right out of the shower so it absorbs! And one of my new years resolutions is to drink more water. I drink tea throughout the day but it's usually green or black teas that are somewhat dehydrating.

    ReplyDelete