Monday, May 21, 2012

What my high-carb, low-carb breakfasts look like!


Hello amiga/os!

When people find out that I am vegan/ whole foods, plant-based they ask me 1) where do I get my protein, 2) what do I eat...I just want to share what my contest-prep breakfast (meal 1) looks like. I am at a point where I am cycling carbs, which means that in order to burn more body fat and achieve that tight physique ready for contest day, carbs should be consumed in high, regular and low proportions during the week - then starting the cycle all over again.

High-carb days will provide the most energy for that day. On high-carb days, workouts are usually  longer and more intense. Low carb days are hard because the energy levels are low, but the point of this is that the body will use fat as a source of energy when carbs are not around, thus helping you lean out.

Please note that this "cycling" of carbs is intended only for people trying to lose those couple of pounds of fat (busting a plateu) or leaning out for a competition ONLY! Also, this diet needs to be carefully planned out - you have to know what to eat/not eat, at what times and which days.

Here are my high-carb and low-carb options as I prepare for my show:

Yesterday's high-carb day breakfast
  • 1 or 1/2 banana (conventional, we'd rather buy conventional bananas (when Whole Foods organic are not available) than buy Dole organic bananas
  • 1/2 cup cooked organic quinoa
  • 1 tbsp. organic coconut oil
  • 1 scoop raw plant protein
  • A few dashed of organic cinnamon and organic stevia
  • 1 cup of organic and fair trade black coffee

 

 Today's low-carb day breakfast:

  • 6 organic dinosaur kale leaves (about 1 cups)
  • 1 handful of organic spinach
  • 1/2 organic cucumber
  • 2 organic celery stalks
  • 1 small cube of fresh organic ginger
  • 2 organic strawberries
  • 1 tbsp. organic coconut oil
  • 1 scoop raw plant protein
  • Organic Stevia for sweetness
  • < 1tsbp. chia seeds
 

A very low-carb diet regularly is NOT recommended for the regular healthy person who does low-to moderate physical activity . This "carb-cycling" method works only for athletes and people who engage in high intensity physical activity and are preparing for a competition and should not be used for long periods of time because it is unsustainable. Depleting the body from this vital nutrient (carbohydrate) for too long depletes energy levels will leave you feeling weak, tired, lethargic and very irritable. 

This diet I'm following is only to prepare for my competition this Saturday (whoo-hoo!). I've been crab-cycling for the past 3 weeks, and I have no intention of doing more of it, lol! After my bikini show, I'm going back stage and to eat a large bowl of cut up fruit and rice cakes with peanut butter to get my carb fix (the PB is just because I love it :-P !

Love,

Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment