Thursday, February 2, 2012

"I've tried to give up eat meat before, but I just can't give it up! I love meat!" I've heard that one too many times.


Choosing to not eat meat is not about "giving it up." It is not a punishment. On the contrary, not eating meat means that you are conscious about what you eat. NOT eating meat sets you free because you are actually choosing not to. Saying that you can't give it up, you must somehow know that meat is not good for you, right? By saying that you can't give it up, you are letting a force out there chose for you. You are allowing something else to take over  your thoughts about food.

Vegetarianism is not about depriving yourself from food. It's not like if vegetarians are like, "Mmm, that cheeseburger looks good--but NO, I CANNOT EAT THAT!!!" and then are all pissed because they denied themselves. No, that is not true. When vegetarian looks at meat, they don't find it appetizing one bit. When they look at a piece of meat whether is cooked or raw they are repulsed with the mere sight of it. It is that simple.

When you decide that you will no longer eat meat, you do it because you are conscious. You are aware of the impact that meat (or factory farmed animals) have on your health, the health of the planet, and how it contributes to the violent treatment of animals. If you don't understand this, you will continue eating meat.When you decide to go vegetarian you will do it for a number of reasons. These reasons must be real to you and be meaningful to you. You don't go vegetarian because it is the thing that's cool now or because you know, you have heard that  you "should go green." You will decide to go vegetreian because you:
  • care about your health, 
  • care about the environment and you know that consuming meat will harm the planet in a number of ways, and 
  • care about animals and you understand that they have feelings AND that they're re killed inhumanely and you no longer will contribute to that horrible pain. 
Whatever the reasons are, you will do  it for those (your OWN) reasons and for for anyone else. If you do it because of someone or something else "going" vegetarian" will not work out for you.

I haven't blogged about my journey as a vegeterian and then a now recent "vegan." I will blog about it soon, but for now I do want to share this....After being vegetarian for 6 months, I decided I wanted to step it up a little bit and get rid of my consumption of eggs. Mind you, I only used to eat organic cage-free egg whites. But after realizing that eggs are aborted chicken fetuses and hearing that those eggs were NEVER been fertilized because they did not allow chickens to have sex because they only produced them -- it grossed me out! In the beginning of December, I stopped eating eggs. I was never a cheese person so I can't say I gave up cheese. As far as milk, I had stopped drinking that since long along without even realizing that I had stopped. Eating a plant-based diet comes naturally to me. A plant -based diet is the ONLY thing that makes sense to me. The four food groups I only eat from are: vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes.
 
 


If you know the impact that eating meat has in your life and you don't care, you will continue eating meat. I am not telling anyone that you have to stop, but I do tell people to become educated and become aware and eat less of it. Do it for you, your family and your pocket book -- trust me, you will save a lot of money! 


Albert Schweitzer, “A man can do only what he can do. But if he does that each day he can sleep at night and do it again the next day.”

Love,

Bea


I love this video!

No comments:

Post a Comment