Thursday, March 15, 2012

Fruit: food to satisfy my cravings!


Earlier this week I was craving crackers! For some reason I wanted to crunchiness, saltiness and I guess, some carbs.... After having that craving for about an hour, I told Bret, "Okay, I wanna go to Trader Joe's and just buy a box of crackers to snack on!"
He asked me, "Why don't you just eat a piece of fruit?"
Me: "Oh baby, I don't have any. I didn't pack enough for the day." (I had accompanied him to his work/school and this conversation took place after-school).
Bret: "Well why don't you go buy some?"
Me: "That's a better idea, I know, but I don't want to. I want some crackers!"

On our way home I still thought about my craving, but did not say anything. We drove to the gym together and I had plans of doing my 2nd cardio session of the day (I had done 30minutes that morning at 5:15am), but I was dreading it. I had little sleep the night before, I needed some rest from  the previous workouts, and although I was highly caffeinated (because I had done a lot of writing all day) my energy levels were down.  I realized how tired I was so I skipped cardio--besides, I had my cracker craving! Then I got an idea! I told Bret, "Oh! I know! I'm going to buy fruit from el frutero near our street!" (El frutero is the man that has a little fruit stand on the street with the bright colorful umbrella.) I found the solution to my craving and guilt for skipping my cardio session.

I ended up buying myself a fruit tub with cut-up watermelon, cantaloupe, orange, coconut, cucumber, and jicama with chile y limon (lime and chili powder) with just $4!!! I loved my snack. It was sweet, yet spicy and lemony. It was perfectly healthy and it satisfied my craving and made me feel so full! The chili powder actually reved up my metabolism because I asked, "con mucho chile, por favor!"

How could I ever thing about eating a box of crackers all by myself? when fruit is the best dessert there exists! I will need to remember this each time I have a crazy craving like that, but most importantly, I learned that the craving was combination of a tired body and drained mind. My body actually wanted some carbs :-)

Learn to identify your cravings and try no to give in to them too quickly. Most times when we over eat or have cravings it's because our emotions are taking over. Stop, think and practice asking yourself, "why do I have that craving? What is my boy lacking and needing right now? what makes me feel this way?" The answer may just lie in eating fruit or having a healthier alternative than your actual craving. Learning to identify  which emotions and being aware of them takes practice, but it can be done. But just the mere thought of being conscious about what you want to eat and are actually eating at the moment is the first step. Also, it is always helpful when you have that buddy, family member or partner to help you and cheer you on in your progress to better health.

There are always healthier options!

Love,

Bea


No comments:

Post a Comment